 Marketplace / Theory / 2317
Re: LEGO disappearing from small toyshops
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Thu, 14 Feb 2002 19:59:41 GMT

I would beg to differ!!!

I think the range of Lego in the South East has dropped dramatically since
the aftermath of Star Wasr Episode I and the closure of all the Toy Stack
stores (they were great for sale items).  Of course I can only vouch for the
Sussex area.

Brighton and Hove is dreadful for Lego.  Both Gamleys shops (one in Brighton
another in Hove) have disappointing range of Lego.  No new Star Wars or
Harry Potter.  The three Woolworths stores are utter crap, one has nothing
Lego related.  And TRU in Hove now sucks monkey ass....their Lego range has
seriously shrunk and they never, ever seem to re-stock.

Crawley isn't so bad.  The Woolworths there can actually be good from time
to time even though they don't stock much.  The Gamley's is bad and very
under-stocked.  The Entertainer has an OK range, but no Harry Potter (due to
CEO's religious beliefs).  And Beaties has a very small stock and limited
range.

Further afield is a Toymaster store in Horsham....used to be good but now
it's sh*t (i.e. NO Lego).  But the Toymaster in Lewes is small, but alright.
Redhill also seems to lacking in dedicated toy stores, just as bad as
Horsham.

In my home town we've got a Woolies with a couple of shelves of Lego and a
stationary store that has a small, but good range.  For me the stationary
store is best for Lego in Sussex as they frequently stock up and carry most
ranges.  Especially the good stuff....Star Wars, Harry Potter, Racers,
Bonicle, etc.  I think one of the guys who works there is a closet AFOL.

Darth Joules

"James Stacey" <james@minifig.co.uk> wrote in message
This certainly isnt the case in the UK
I dont have any small toyshops near me, but when I was on holiday in the
south of England, I was constantly suprised and pleased to see the range • of
LEGO the small toyshops were carrying, they certainly had more range than
the TRU's and Entertainers had (albeit less volume)
Many of these shops are however members of the 'toymaster' group. Not sure
how this works, but it seens to act as a buyer for small toy shops • allowing
them to be more competitive - someone correct me if I'm wrong

--
James Stacey
---------
#925 - I'm a citizen of Legoland travelling Incommunicado

XPT .loc.uk, FUT .market.theory