 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 4102
Re: LEGO disappearing from small toyshops
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Sat, 16 Feb 2002 23:39:39 GMT

In lugnet.general, Thomas Main writes:
Hardly any small toyshops seem to carry LEGO anymore.  I've been told that
toyshop owners don't like to carry it because it's too "mass market" and they
specialize in quality toys.  Also, I suppose it is hard for toyshop owners to
compete with the likes of Wal*Mart in pricing and volume purchases from TLC.

But I see an opportunity here.  TLC, or some division in TLC, could capitalize
on the small toyshop market.  Drop the $5000 minimum order, drop the
requirement to carry the whole range and all other impediments to carrying LEGO
for the small toyshop.

Personaly, I'd wonder is thats true!  Wal*mart & K-Mart both have LOW LEGO
stocks up here, but the only small toyshop I know of, appears to have LOTS
of LEGO's, but no the whole line... More then the other stores though.  Are
you sure they are required to do so?

Provide a specialized line to these stores...things
like the LEGENDS series, train sets and accessories like train tracks and
roadplates of all varieties.  Small boxes of bricks, slopes and plates that
might sell better in a toyshop environment than they would in places like
Wal*Mart.

YEAH PLEASE! I'd empty them weekly!
Josh

And if TLC insists that it wants to venture into the unknown, let then try
things like making accessory sets that are compatible with Rokenbok (also sold
in these small toyshops).  Imagine a LEGO set equivalent of a Down-A-Vator
using pneumatic parts, plates and technic beams.  It would get the Rokenbokers
using LEGO with Rokenbok and buying a lot of LEGO to enhance their Rokenbok
layouts.

And think what re-establishing themselves in small toyshops would do to bolster
the LEGO brand.  A lot of people go to toyshops exclusively when it is time to
buy birthday presents, etc.  These people would see quality LEGO sets like they
used to know when they were kids.  TLC wouldn't have to worry about licensing
deals and flashing packaging in this sort of environment compared to mass
market retail.

Why not let part of LEGO Direct cater to the small toyshops?  Perhaps it would
be a (relatively) small investment that would really pay off.

--
Thomas Main
thomasmain@hotmail.com