 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 4095
Re: LEGO disappearing from small toyshops
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Sat, 16 Feb 2002 06:41:24 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Mike Walsh writes:

"TWS Garrison" <tgarriso@math.purdue.edu> wrote in message
On Thu, 14 Feb 2002, Mike Walsh wrote:

TLC has changed some of their requirements.  I had a conversation with a
small toy store owner a few months ago and she mentioned it had recently
become easier for her to do business with TLC.  Thye had lowered the • minimum
buy to $1000 and it didn't have to be paid for in advance.  She could • also
choose a subset (she chose Soccer, Harry Potter, and Dinosaurs) of the
product line to carry.

Um, isn't this *really* big news?  A minimum buy of $1000 would make it
reasonable for some parts sellers to buy Lego at wholesale.  It's not 75%
off clearance, but wholesale would be a good price, especially if it gave
a seller the opportunity to have a large, known quantity of brand new
sets to part out and make available for sale.

[ ... snipped ... ]

I managed to get a little insight into the retailer pricing from my
conversation and the few prices she shared with me were higher than I
expected.  They varied a bit but for the most part were around 60% of MSRP.
I beleive (and I could be wrong) that part of become a retailer means
sigining an agreement to sell the sets as sets and not to break them into
parts lots.  I could be wrong on this but based on the fact that I don't see
anyone doing it, it wouldn't surprise me.

Mike

The 60% jives with a few number I have seen at TRU (while looking over someones
shoulder at the CRT). I would think that very large sellers (like WM) might be
able to negotiate slightly better terms (50% ?) based on their huge volume.

Anyone have any insight how the 'reseller agreement' works if you buy lego
product through a distributor (like marz distribution, who was mentioned here
several months back) ?

Ray