 Marketplace / Theory / 1980
Re: PayPal policy change
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.market.services
Date:
Sat, 24 Mar 2001 16:33:17 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Helge Viker writes:

Have anybody actually received a sensible answer from Paypal? I have now
sent them about 5 - 7 mails regarding this. All have been answered, but they
are not answering my quesitons. They just send out some standard answers
which contain phrases like "expanding capabilities" and "exciting new
development". I don't think any person actually has read any of my mails.

G'day Helge,

I've had the same problems.  I had no warning sent to me that a new
policy was to be implemented.  They took the money out of my PayPal
account that I was going to send to a seller.  And I sent several emails
that went for days without a reply.  When I finally received some
response, the first email was totally useless!  I sent:

"I just tried to accept a payment and was informed that I have to register a
bank account.  Why is this??
Frustrated,
KDJ."

They responded with:

"I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you.  However, upon
review of your account, I was unable to locate the particular transaction
in question."

Then they gave me instructions for how to add a bank account with no
explanation as to why.

The second response I received from them was only marginally more
enlightening:

"When PayPal expanded its service to non-US residents in November, we broke
new ground by allowing our members to withdraw funds from their PayPal
account and deposit them to their VISA card.  The process of depositing
funds to a credit card was a new one and something that the credit card
associations are just now beginning to explore.
VISA and MasterCard are currently developing programs to permit fund
transfers to their cards, and PayPal is discussing with them ways to
participate so that our members can transfer funds to their cards in a
manner approved by both associations. However, until such a program is
operational we have suspended the practice of withdrawing funds from PayPal
accounts and depositing them to VISA cards starting 7 March 2001."

Despite the global financial service that this company is supposed
to be providing, I think they are total hack amateurs.  They are too
unstable and change their policies too often.  And they established
an international funds receiving mechanism that they found out
they are not even allowed to use! (credit cards).  As a result they
had to shut down much of their international business.

I'm switching to someone else.  BTW, I think I found out that PayPal.com
is owned by X.com...

KDJ
LUGNETer #203, Windsor, Ontario, Canada