 Marketplace / Theory / 1949
Re: PayPal policy change
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.market.services
Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2001 17:08:42 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Kevin Wilson writes:
Kyle D. Jackson wrote in message ...
Okay, what the h...?  I never got this notice.  I went to PayPal
yesterday (once the site was finally running again!) and tried to
accept one of the payments I had waiting approval.  I got a message
that I now have to register a bank account or deny the payments.
Why?!?

Because you can no longer withdraw to Visa or MasterCard, and they don't
want you to be collecting money in your Paypal acct that you can't withdraw.

The really stupid thing is that if you try and add a CN bank account (which
you are supposed to be able to do, and I have on one of my accts) it won't
accept the routing number even if it's correct, so you can't. I now have a
whole string of incoming payments I can't get at.

Equally stupid is if you have a bank that lets you maintain a US dollar
account(1), you can't transfer money back & forth to Paypal in US funds...
Paypal will insist that the transfer be in CAD, so you get dinged for the
exchange twice; one of which is at Paypal's less-than-ideal rates. :(

That, coupled with the fact that 3 times now (3!) I've tried to get my
Mastercard confirmed at Paypal, and 3 times the confirmation numbers (from
Paypal) have been missing, wrong or incomplete, really inclines me to write
them off as a bad deal.

James

1: Canada Trust "borderless", for example.