 Marketplace / Theory / 1951
Re: PayPal policy change
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.market.services
Date:
Wed, 14 Mar 2001 12:00:56 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Kevin Wilson writes:

Because you can no longer withdraw to Visa or MasterCard, and they don't
want you to be collecting money in your Paypal acct that you can't withdraw.

I have been trying to contact PayPal for days now and no reply.
Anyone know how to contact these people by phone?  I can't find
a single phone listing for them anywhere (I thought that was
illegal).

Here's my beef.  Any funds that end up in my PayPal account stay
there until I use it to pay somebody for something.  I never
swept the funds out to my c/c, except for the one time when
I first used PayPal.  Therefore my avenue of withdrawal was to
send it to somebody else.

So is the deal now that PayPal will not let us receive *any*
money if we only have a c/c attached to the account?

I'm pissed because I never received any notification from PayPal
that this was coming.  As of yesterday I noticed that all finds
in my PayPal account were swept out to my c/c.  This really ticked
me off as I was just about to use them to pay for something.
Now I'll get hit with the Int'l transaction fee to make that
payment.  I'm starting to see PayPal's motive now...  Anyhow,
I received an email from PayPal today explaining that my funds
were swept to my c/c as told would happen in a previous email.
Thanx guys..., what previous email?!!  And today's email
makes perfect sense too:

"If you had not registered a VISA card with PayPal and
withdrawn your entire PayPal account balance by early
March 2001, PayPal automatically withdrew the entire
amount and deposited it to your VISA card, with no
withdrawal fees charged. "

Huh???  "If you had not registered a **VISA card** with PayPal..."
These guys can't even explain their own policy changes
without error.  I really regret ever referring anyone to
PayPal now.  What a bunch of amateurs.

So:
1) We can't receive money with a credit card, even if we don't
sweep it.
2) We can't register Canadian accounts.
3) We can't register Canadian US$ accounts.
4) We are not informed what the exhange rates are prior to
transaction.
5) For that matter we are not explicitly informed what the fees
were for *any* transaction.
6) These guys are impossible to contact for any real customer
service issue.

They sound like they're worth dumping to me!

Anybody know of better service that does more than just auctions?

KDJ
LUGNETer #203, Windsor, Ontario, Canada