 Marketplace / Theory / 1090
Re: Proportion of bad bidders on eBay?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Sat, 26 Feb 2000 05:18:35 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

Mr L F Braun wrote:

I also toughened my language significantly.  For example, I now set a time limit
for first contact as well as a time limit within which payment must reach me (or
alternate arrangements made).  I feel mean for doing it, but it seems to weed out
the ambivalent bidders so far.

Have you ever had a foot-dragging bidder get upset when you stick to ebay rules
and forfeit their win?  (I haven't, but I wonder if anyone here has.)

I think you're well within your rights to do so, and further i think
your "tough" status is perfectly justified. However, and this is NOT
criticism (of anyone except me) I personally have to cut people a bit
more slack... but that's because I'm a foot dragger when I win too. Wish
I wasn't, but I am.

That's really what I do--I use tough language in the general auction, but I gauge each
individual bidder's position and situation once we get the money-ball rolling.  I start
from toughness and soften, because that's a lot easier IMHO than sounding wishy-washy
and then making demands.

best

Lindsay