 Marketplace / Theory / 1074
Re: Proportion of bad bidders on eBay?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Fri, 25 Feb 2000 10:24:19 GMT

Transatlantic shipping may be part of the issue.

I'm not sure what the problems is. I'd say about 1 in 20 - 30 never pay. I'm
not sure why this is. Normally is is for low value items - the cost of the
MO and shipping may out way the actual value of the item.

On a related note, this was in my inbox this morning:

++++++
"I have sent you payment on Feb. 16, 2000. This was 8 days ago. I now inform
you that if I do not receive shipment from you  within 15 days I will go to
ebay and label you a dead beat seller.

Consdier this, I seriously doubt I will ever use ebay again.

I will issue no further warnings."
++++++

Notes:
1. They payment made it to me yesterday - a MO, with a BLANK payee section!
2. Airmail shipping to the UK can take up to 10 days (but usually < 5 days),
and I would have stated this on my 1st mail to him - I'll check the post
mark on this one tonight to see when it was sent to me.
3. The auction actually ended on Feb 02 - TWO WEEKS before he mailed his
payment. He did not respend to my e-mails until I had filed with ebay for a
"Final Value Fee Credit Request"
(http://pages.ebay.com/services/buyandsell/finalfee.html).
4. His feedback rating is zero.

Scott A

I had one bidder whinge about fixed shipping charges being too high, and
some other misc whinges from other bidders lead me to believe that there
is a non zero fraction of bidders that don't read the listings very
carefully.

Bidders like that may well be more likely to renege on someone across
the pond after they realise what the shipping is going to be.

So far I have a pretty good record of completions, no deal has gone 100%
sour yet.

--
Larry Pieniazek - lpieniazek@mercator.com - http://my.voyager.net/lar

Note: this is a family forum!