 Marketplace / Theory / 1057
Re: Popula, the quirkiest auction site?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Thu, 24 Feb 2000 16:07:07 GMT

Frank Filz wrote:

Well, one thing which really irked me as a buyer was long auctions which
then extended a week when a new bid was placed. It just became too painful
to use, you never had any idea when it might possibly finish. It was also a
lot of effort to go look at to see that the one item you might have been
interested in had an opening bid above what you were willing to pay.

Yes, the auctions are a bit slow as compared to other venues.  But the fact that
sniping is eliminated should be incentive for bidders--they can rest easy that
they will not lose their high bid standing without time to react.  Of course,
many may argue that with hidden proxy bidding this is not really necessary if
bidders simply placed their initial bids at the maximum amount they are willing
to pay for an item.  True, but if there is an item that you really want and just
a few dollars more than your initial maximum will make it yours, it may be worth
it to some people.

As for the ridiculously high opening bids, this is the fault of the sellers, not
Serious Collector itself.  In my mind, high opening bids DO drive away bidders.
Sellers should be willing to take the risk that bidders will drive up the price
of their items and not initiate auctions with such high start prices.  Sellers
unwilling to take such risk might be better off attempting a simple sale.
Enough straight sale venues exist for this purpose.

__Kevin Salm__