 Marketplace / Theory / 1056
Re: Pure theory on castle auction ...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Thu, 24 Feb 2000 15:46:16 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Pawel Nazarewicz writes:
I put up five castle (which is a hot item by itself on e-bay) figures for
auction.  Here is the link for reference:

OK, just to go to the other part of this thread for a moment...I kinda
thought this was plugging the auction, especially since it's still going
on.  Had the auction ended, I don't think there would have been any
problem.

Another idea would be to post your questions and stuff *before* the link
to the auction.  That would make it more clear at the start that you want
to talk about the questions you have and not plug the auction itself.

The item has a wolfpack torso, a brown cowl, a skeleton, some body armor, a
forestman torso, a pointed hat, a classic Vader black helmet as well as a
Royal Knight's torso ...

The opening bid for it is $4.95 - which is right at $.99 per figure ...

I've had over 100 hits but no bids (which I don't mind ... as you can
probably tell, this is more of a plug than anything).

Right here's the other problem.  It looks like you're saying "this [post]
is more of a plug [for my auction] than anything" when what you really
mean is "this [auction] is more of a plug [for Castle World] than
anything".  Sometimes making your assumptions explicit avoids trouble...

Any idea why there are no
bids on this?  If I just took a picture of it (no lengthy explanation,
etc...), would there be bids?

Personally, I think it's a case of advertising to the wrong market.
People on LUGNET and RTL are the ones that are going to care about MOCs
and Castle World and the like, while people on eBay - well, you have no
idea what they're interested in or why they chose to look at the auction
in the first place.

It'd be interesting to set up something to see how many hits CW was
getting because of your auction - I do believe it's possible with a bit of
CGI to see what the 'referring page' is that contained a link to your
site.