 Marketplace / Theory / 1026
Re: What is spam?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Sat, 19 Feb 2000 23:02:58 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:

In lugnet.market.theory, Larry Pieniazek writes:
Spam is unsolicited bulk email. That's the accepted definition.
Sorry, but I'm a stickler on this point.

Hmm.  Hmm.  Not according to the Jargon File[1].  :)

(What definitive reference are you using?)

That one, but I was working from memory.

I think it's safe to say it is _an_ accepted definition, though!  :)

OK. I yield. It is AN accepted definition, not THE accepted definition.
Most of the things we think of as spam are covered by senses 3,4 and 5
of their def. That includes mail you didn't ask for, flood postings to
newsgroups, etc.

However... and this is a crucial point if we are to get back on track
:-) (remember Alice? This is a song about Alice's restaurant) NEITHER a
mail in response to an offer to buy, targeted to one person, with
onerous conditions of purchase attached, NOR an advert embedded in the
siggy of a message is spam.

THAT'S my point. Those stretch the meme beyond what it is and I object
to using the term spam for either of these.

--
Larry Pieniazek - lpieniazek@mercator.com - http://my.voyager.net/lar

Note: this is a family forum!