 Marketplace / Theory / 1019
Re: What is spam?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Sat, 19 Feb 2000 18:35:24 GMT

Frank Filz wrote:

I would say an advertisement appended to every message sent by a list or
whatever would be SPAM.

And I wouldn't. Be careful of meme dilution.

That advert is a "message from our sponsor" during a program you chose
to watch. It's not spam. Mail the sponsor sends you because you didn't
check the "I don't want mail" box (or because the ToS there don't allow
you to opt out) is not spam either. You asked for it, or at least agreed
to get it.

Spam is unsolicited bulk email. That's the accepted definition.

Sorry, but I'm a stickler on this point.

All those other things may well be annoying to you but they're not spam.

--
Larry Pieniazek - lpieniazek@mercator.com - http://my.voyager.net/lar

Note: this is a family forum!