 Marketplace / Theory / 1015
1014  |  1016
Subject:
What is spam?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Sat, 19 Feb 2000 17:56:04 GMT

[I'm going off on a bit of a tangent here...]

In lugnet.market.theory, Larry Pieniazek writes:
[...]
I agree with your feelings in general, but I just want to make it clear that
if I compose a note to you by hand offering to purchase your item, no matter
what conditions I may attach, that's not spam. By definition. It may be
annoying, rude, etc. but it is NOT SPAM.

I wonder, though -- couldn't such a message theoretically _contain_ "spam"
even if the message as a whole isn't considered "spam"?

For example, when I see something at the bottom of an email message which
advertises "get your free @yahoo.com or @hotmail.com address..." (that sort
of thing), then that's a wicked horrible annoying unsolicited advertisement
to me (even if it isn't dictionary spam) and I have to give it a name -- so
for lack of a better word, I call it "spam" -- especially if it was added to
the message automatically (not part of the sender's .sig file) by the
software which generated the message.

Do you have reason to believe that you were bulk mailed? THAT is the
definition of SPAM.

Hmm, when you say "THAT is the definition of SPAM," are you referring to
"bulk mailed"?  I don't think simply bulk mailing is spamming.  For example,
mailing lists and email distro lists do bulk mailing every day, but they're
not necessarily spamming.

BTW, there's a nifty SMTP header that can be set ('Precedence: bulk') to
lower the suggested propagation priority.  IIRC, 'bulk' is at the bottom,
and 'list' is above bulk, with other things above 'list'.

You could look it up.

Hmm, I just looked up "spam" in the Jargon File, and while it mostly mentions
various types of large-quantity spamming, I think the term has also recently
taken on the additional meaning of "unsolicitied electronic advertisement"
(except for banner ads, of course).  That's how I've seen it increasingly
used, anyway...not that it's necessarily a dictionary-correct usage.

--Todd