 Marketplace / Theory / 1021
Re: What is spam?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Sat, 19 Feb 2000 19:43:54 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Larry Pieniazek writes:
I'm going to stick by the definition as it's commonly accepted. Spam is
unsolicited bulk email. Bulk in that it wasn't written by a human and
isn't personal to you. Unsolicited in that you didn't ask for it. A
mailing list or distro list that you're on doesn't emit spam unless you
were placed there against your will.

<nitpick>
'written by a human' notes can be spam.  If I get my dirty little hands on an
address list, and handwrite a (whatever), then send it to all gazillion of
them, it can still qualify as spam.  Most of the chain e-mails out there were,
at some point in their past, written by humans.  Unless, of course, you're
arguing that people who do that aren't human. ;)
</nitpick>

I think the common definition of spam has grown to include newsgroups and
mailing lists.  For example, if some foolish person were to start posting "Make
money at home!" messages on the Robotics mailing list, it would certainly be
spam.  (and they would certainly lose access)  Likewise if someone did the same
to lugnet.anything.

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/