 Marketplace / Theory / 1023
Re: Spam by proxy ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Sat, 19 Feb 2000 20:28:16 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:
Requiring a join as a condition of sale/purchase is certainly legal in
my book, but it's not a tactic I would use. Not sure I'd call it wrong,
though. Nor is a note to you offering to purchase "spam", per se,
Annoying, perhaps, but it doesn't fit the SPAM definition which has bulk
mailing inherent in it. IMHO.

Just a nit-pick, I really have nothing else of value to add to this
discussion...

Spam doesn't need to be bulk-mailed to be spam.  Spam is unsolicited
commercial e-mail (UCE).  A one-off mailing is spam, just like the
100,000-message runs.  The only difference is, the larger runs are more
stressful on the network.

However, in this case, the e-mails were solicited; Ray is selling something
and asking for buyers to contact him.  So no, in this case, it isn't spam.

Cheers,
- jsproat

Card-carrying member of the Star-Bellied Sneech Preservation Society