 Administrative / General / 4560
4559  |  4561
Subject:
Spam by proxy ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 19 Feb 2000 13:43:49 GMT

Over the past few days, I have noticed a trend beginning to develop. The
sample I base this statement on is small, but nonetheless, something is happening.

Twice I have been approached by individuals interested in purchasing
items I have listed for sale. What makes these case different, is that
both propositioned me for an online payment system. In both cases, I was
left with the impression that subscribing to the payment system (with
them as the reference) was an ingredient in closing the sale.

While these systems may be the wave of the future, they are new, and as
yet unproven. Only time will tell. As one of the more senior AFOLs (in
age, not years with bricks) I do recall an MLM that went sour in FLorida
in the 70s[1]. That one left a huge number of debtors floating in the
breeze[2]. MLMs are more regulated now than before, but which state
regulates X.com, paypal, and other that I am sure will spring up?

The trends worry me, these people (while probably well meaning) are less
interested in purchasing something I have for sale, then promoting the
(subsidiary rights to) the chosen payment system. Without the
promotional spiff, this would not be happening. I think this is only the beginning.

BTW, I politely declined in both instances. We will see if either sale
actually occurs.

Ray Sanders

[1] 'Coscotte Interplanetary' is my best recollection
[2] a little north of 100k IIRC

--
mailto:rsanders@svic.net
Experienced Macintosh developer seeks telecomuting position.