 Marketplace / Theory / 1018
Re: Spam by proxy ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Sat, 19 Feb 2000 18:14:17 GMT

On Sat, 19 Feb 2000 15:01:00 GMT, Ray Sanders <rsanders@svic.net>
wrote:

In any case (if I understand this correctly), there is nothing that
would have prevented them from signing me up, then never following thru
on the purchase. Making them my reference (again, my conjecture) from
then on. The opportunity for abuse seems to abound.

Well, this isn't truly a MLM thing like Amway (or All Advantage for
that matter).  This is a one time, person A gets person B to sign up
for X.com or Paypal, and person A makes some amount of money for that
happening.  Person B could get 100 people to sign up using B as their
reference and A would never get a dime of it.

I'd say of A contacted you, offered to buy your product and implied
that he wanted you to signup for X.com so he could pay you that way,
and you did, and he got the bonus for you signing up, THEN he backed
out of the deal, all you'd need to do is mention that on LUGNET and
that person would be forced (by community will) to either
follow-through on his commitment to buy the item or send you the bonus
to make up for your wasted time.  Not a perfect solution but I bet
that person wouldn't do it again, or even get the chance since people
would probably choose to not deal with him.

Really, there isn't a lot of scamming or deal-dropping going on in
this community.  People I work with are amazed that I often send
things out before I've even told the buyer what his total including
shipping will be, and even thought I point out, "yeah, but this isn't
like dealing with total strangers - we're a community and there's a
lot of trust" they have a hard time accepting it.

--
The parts you want and nothing else?