 Marketplace / Theory / 1017
Re: What is spam?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Sat, 19 Feb 2000 18:06:05 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Todd Lehman writes:
[I'm going off on a bit of a tangent here...]

In lugnet.market.theory, Larry Pieniazek writes:
[...]
I agree with your feelings in general, but I just want to make it clear that
if I compose a note to you by hand offering to purchase your item, no matter
what conditions I may attach, that's not spam. By definition. It may be
annoying, rude, etc. but it is NOT SPAM.

I wonder, though -- couldn't such a message theoretically _contain_ "spam"
even if the message as a whole isn't considered "spam"?

For example, when I see something at the bottom of an email message which
advertises "get your free @yahoo.com or @hotmail.com address..." (that sort
of thing), then that's a wicked horrible annoying unsolicited advertisement
to me (even if it isn't dictionary spam) and I have to give it a name -- so
for lack of a better word, I call it "spam" -- especially if it was added to
the message automatically (not part of the sender's .sig file) by the
software which generated the message.

I would say an advertisement appended to every message sent by a list or
whatever would be SPAM. To some extent, the little "here's our web page, and
this is how you unsubscribe" which is appended to every message on the lists
that I manage is SPAM also, but the first part is just advertising another
part of the service you have signed up for, and the second is giving you
usefull information on how to get off the list.

Frank