 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 9782
Re: Ran Talbott
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Thu, 25 Jan 2001 05:29:19 GMT

Ran has had some good sources say good things about him.  I have dealt with
both Scott and Mike consider them VERY reliable.  He also has an outstang
feedback rating on brickbay.  Frank does have a good point, money is involved
which does mean taking care of business is in order.  Everyone can run their
trading and selling (business) as they wish.  This is for most of us a hobby
and unfortunatly life is not as simple as our hobby.

Some rules I go by:
(#1)DON'T MAKE A MOUNTAIN OUT OF A MOLE HILL.  I accepted Ran's brickbay order
even while waiting on $4 bucks he owed me from a previous trade months before
but heck IT WAS ONLY $4 bucks!

(#2)BE PATIENT.  I waited an entire month before I even thought twice about
Ran's order.  Then I looked at his feedback (Over 80! at the time(much higher
than mine I might add)) and knew he just needed a reminder, I sent a few
(several) e-mails and waited another month)

(#3)DO SOME INVESTIGATING.  Had Ran posted to Lugnet in that time period? (Yes
several times)  Was Ran's Brickbay shop still active? (Yes, very).  Could Ran
be having computer problems, health, ...(Didn't seem to be).  Did Ran
understand his responsibilities/consequences as a brickbay buyer? (obviously)

(#4)BE NICE BUT BE HONEST.  I left negative feedback for Ran because I felt he
was just flat out ignoring me.  HAD he simply writen me a little note that he
was no longer interested his brickbay order I would have dropped the whole
thing (See rule #1).  I did not post a flame on LUGNET (I am not too Thrilled
that his name is the tile of this string) but when two other people questioned
the group on past transactions...I would want to know, wouldn't you?

Important Notes!
Ran is a good guy.  He is good for his word, YES! just look at his feedback
rating!  All of us have someone, maybe several someones who are not pleased
with how we handled a certain transaction.  Perhaps this one just slipped
through the cracks in Ran's life.

Will you be happy when your transaction with Ran is completed?
Probably Yes

Was I happy when my transaction with Ran was completed?
Obviously No

trying to be nice but honest,
Matt

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Frank Filz writes:
Mike Stanley wrote:

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Will Hess writes:
I rec'd payment from Ran less than 24 hours after filing a NPB notice.  I • was
contacted by another seller via email who suggested that Ran might NOT have
traditional email access, doing all business and posting through the web. • The
more I think about it the more likely this seems to me.

In any case I'm off to delete the NPB and add to Mr. Talbot's impressive
feedback rating.

For what it's worth (a lot imo) Ran has always dealt honestly with me.  He's
one of a fairly good sized number of people who, when I see an order from
them, a little clicker goes off in my head that says, "nothing to worry
about here."

Things happen sometimes to the best of us to delay payments, shipments, etc.
The unfortunate thing is that usually those things that cause the delays
might also be serious enough to interfere with internet access or free time.

I think it's important to cut people a bit of slack, but it's also
important that if someone regularly has problems, that it be aired
(heck, some might acuse me of being slow to process deals, though in
general I think I'm responsive once a commitment is made to a deal - I
am just slow in getting the details of a deal finalized [sorry
Scott...]). People can then make a choice if a particular person's
slowness is an issue. Personally, I don't have much of an issue with the
time it takes for AucZILLA winnings to get to me (though I am glad to
see that that time has dropped dramatically) because it is well known,
and I just don't look for things which will take a while. Also, if Todd
were to suddenly vanish and start stiffing us, he'd never be able to see
the light of day again around AFOLs. There are other individuals who I
chose not to deal with at all because they have shown such consistency
in being unable to meet commitments. I would expect someone whose budget
for LEGO was very small to not be happy dealling with AucZILLA because
they could have a significant part of their budget tied up in parts
which aren't going to come fast. Nor would someone whose mode is to run
out and buy parts they need tomorrow. If such a person experiences a
delay once from a particular seller, they will most likely never give
that seller another chance.

What all of this suggests is that one should be somewhat patient before
posting a query about someone. The first post should then most likely be
"hey, has anyone heard from Joe?." If Joe starts to develop a history of
delays, it is probably reasonable then for someone to chip in with an
explanation that this is not unusual. If someone actually knows that Joe
is currently having problems, it's also reasonable to let folks know
(and you can be vauge in details - he's out of the country, or he's
having a personal emergency, or his computer just blew up, or whatever -
especially if the reason is something people would generally be
understanding of). It also behooves folks to try and let their trade
partners know that a problem has arisen. Very rarely should someone be
totally unable to contact people for more than a week or so. There's
probably some way you can send an e-mail, if you have a phone number,
you can make a call, if you have a postal address, you can send a
postcard, if you're hospitalized or something horrible like that, you
can probably have a friend or family member get the word out (well, you
might have a problem if you're in jail I suppose). You may only need to
contact one person, and ask them to pass the word on.

Yes, this is only a hobby, but the money and LEGO we send to people is
real, and none of us have infinite resources.