 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 9778
Re: Ran Talbott
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Thu, 25 Jan 2001 02:45:04 GMT

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Richard Marchetti writes:
It can't always be about Lego, you know -- there ARE other things in life.
I bet a seller from brickbay is right now reading this and wondering "How is
it that this bozo, Rick, can write a post to Lugnet and not just pay me via
paypal?"  There are reasons why I am posting this rather than dashing off to
x.com but who cares?  Sometimes I just don't feel like doing my bills, so
there...!

Well, pardon me for saying so, but I think if someone makes a purchase at my
shop they ought to be willing to pay for it in a timely manner.  You've made
numerous statements in the past that indicate you aren't that concerned with
paying people in anything other than your own time frame, but imo that's
pretty inconsiderate.

If you place an order at my shop for XYZ, that means that XYZ aren't
available to be purchased by someone else.  All things being equal, I'd much
prefer that someone with a history of prompt payment place an order at my
shop than someone who might not "feel like doing [his] bills".

You're right (in my experience) that you do pay people.  But you're one of
the slowest to pay I've encountered, and it puzzles me that you almost seem
proud of it.

If I were that Brickbay seller who might have been waiting for some long
period of time, I think I'd be justified in thinking, "if he can take two
minutes to fire off a LUGNET message why can't he take 10 seconds to fulfill
his financial obligation to me?"

No one has ever NOT been paid by me.  I think the persons I made
wait the longest to complete a deal were Lehman and Rich (I guess an email
went astray) -- and they didn't even write me email one, they just waited
for payment.

And that's just supposed to be ok?  If you place an order in my shop I
should just sit and wait for three months, not bothering you, not daring to
think that something like a contractural deal you agreed to between us
should intrude on you if you're not in the mood to pay for the stuff you
placed an order for?

Call me crazy, but I don't see any difference between someone who makes an
order and doesn't pay promptly and someone who makes an order knowing they
don't have the money to pay for it and figures he'll just pay up after the
next paycheck arrives.  I've had buyers do that before - some asking before
making the order, some letting me know after the order.  Oddly enough it has
never bothered me that much although it did strike me as odd (I just bought
a used car from a friend - I didn't say "hey, I want this car and I know you
want the money, but how about you just hold it for me for a month till I
feel like paying or till I get paid so I can afford it" - I wrote him a
check on the spot).  But even those cases were better than just having an
order sit there for weeks with no idea when payment would arrive.

What if I got tired of waiting after a month and just decided to cancel your
order and resell it to someone else?  Would you hold that against me?

I am betting that Ran will make good on his pending transactions...

I'm sure he will - he always has with me.