 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 7268
Re: What's with Brickbay
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Tue, 1 Aug 2000 02:33:08 GMT

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Larry Pieniazek writes:
So I grin and bear it.

Yea, I accept it, but I'll still complain every once in a while (another pet
peeve here is that brickshelf uses Javascript to do a redirect when you use a
menmonic URL instead of the folder/picture number URL, no reason why it can't
do the cheap old HTML re-direct that I can see).

Get your browser working, it's worth it... • ...
FWIW, I use BrickBay just fine from an NT 4 (SP 6)box running NS 4.7 and IE
5.0 as well as from a Win 95 box running NS 4.5

What is your setup?

Home: Windows 95 (P100) MSIE 4.something (stupid "about box" doesn't let you
cut and paste the version number).

Work: AIX 4.1.5, NS 3.01

Fortunately at work, I can also telnet into another box, and I run NS 3.01
with Javascript enabled from that box, then I don't care as much if it
crashes. I do need to spend more time figuring out why the newer version of NS
won't start up (it just quietly goes into the bit bucket), though I'll
probably still continue to use NS 3.01 for e-mail/news unless someone can tell
me where they hid the option to get the following display arrangement for e-
mail/news (crude ASCII picture time - this may be a little mucky if you look
at it from the web page):

   +----+-----------+
   | A  | B         |
   |    |           |
   +----+           |
   | C  |           |
   |    |           |
   |    |           |
   |    |           |
   |    |           |
   |    |           |
   |    |           |
   |    |           |
   +----+-----------+

   Pannel A contains the list of e-mail folders, or list of news groups
   Pannel C contains the list of messages
   Pannel B contains the current message

The closest arrangement in the newer NS seems to be:

   +-------+--------+
   |A      |B       |
   |       |        |
   +-------+--------+
   |C               |
   |                |
   |                |
   +----------------+

With the same meanings for A, B, and C. What I don't like about this is that
it limits the number of messages viewable in pannel B, and limits the number
of lines of message in pannel C. I hate how much of the GUI world assumes that
everyone is running on limited resolution (or using high resolution, but large
fonts). At home, I run 1600x1200 and get about 70-80 lines of text. At work,
it's 1280x1024 with about 50 lines of text. Unfortunately, due to how the
Lugnet fonts are set, the text on the home page and message summaries is
almost too small for me to read (at home it's just perfect, at least for the
news summary pages - I would prefer the links on the home page to be a bit
larger).

Sometimes I also use NS something or other from a NT terminal server, but it's
horrid for looking at pictures, you only get a 256 color pallette. I've tried
MSIE from there, but I need to stumble through how to set it up to understand
the firewall.

Things will probably improve when I get my Linux box, then it should come with
a fairly recent NS all set up to go. What would really help is if I could get
a Windows box also. What will also help eventually is that MSIE should be set
up, there is a corporate direction towards MSIE.

Maybe we need to take this to off-topic.geek? I dunno.

I thought about sending followups there in the first place, but I see some
validity for market related discussion about the value of it, so long as such
discussion doesn't get too geeky, consider it done.

FUT: lugnet.off-topic.geek

Frank