 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 7301
Re: What's with Brickbay
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Thu, 3 Aug 2000 02:03:47 GMT

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, John York writes:
Of course XML would be ideal for data transfer!

The minimum you need is a text editor. The Ebay bulk upload interface is text
with markup (XML if you want to apply the term loosely.) Like this:

<FREEBAY_ITEM>
<FREEBAY_TITLE>Cool Mustard Sculptures</FREEBAY_TITLE>
<FREEBAY_BID>0.25</FREEBAY_BID>
..
</FREEBAY_ITEM>

(This is not "really" XML because it's missing some formal declarations.)

But I liked it. So much that I wrote a bunch of software that works with Lego
lots in this format. It's all stored as plug-ins to my favorite text editor, so,
I work by selecting text and pushing a button to add various tags to or around
the text. One neat feature is I can type a list of set numbers, highlight them,
and get back a sorted list of parts with totals. Grouping a few of these in
another selection I push another button and it starts a "lot", computes postage,
prompts for a graphic, inserts gif dimensions, and so on. Eventually I push one
final button and it emails a lot of bulk batches to Ebay for online approval.
In between stages, it's all just text so I can modify it however I want to.

If I could think of any uses for this other than squirting lots out to Ebay...

XML is cool.

Oh yeah, I'm converting systems at work to spit out and read XML everywhere I
can.