 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 7292
Re: What's with Brickbay
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Wed, 2 Aug 2000 11:45:38 GMT

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, John York writes:
Of course XML would be ideal for data transfer! Easy to do in java, but also
doable in perl or C! Not sure how easy it would be to do with ASP, but I'm • sure
microsoft has some way to support it.

2 years from now I will agree with that. And there ARE parsers out there. But
my company makes a pretty penny helping big orgs deal with XML data
interfaces. It's not yet easy. eXcel does not ship with an XML
importer/exporter, for example. (although I have tools on my laptop to do it,
they're *Mercator* tools and not available to hobbyists)

Many end user programs support import and export of CSV. Now of course,
there's no explicit metadata, you have to know the meaning of the items
yourself, which adds some complexity, but I can love XML and at the same time
stand behind my recommendation of CSV as a hobbyist level data import/export
format. For now.

++Lar