 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 13358
Re: Trademarks & Copyrights (Swimming pools & movie stars)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Tue, 29 Jan 2002 02:08:51 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, William R. Ward writes:
"Matthew Gerber" <matthew@digitaliris.com> writes:

Loss of identity is directly related to loss of trademark. Ask anyone going
to "Kinko's" to make "Xeroxes" if they are truly visiting their local
Kinko's branch to make photocopies on Xerox machines, or if they are going
to Local Copies 'n' Stuff to make photocopies on a Konica machine...you'd be
surprised at the answer.

I'll definitely agree with you about "Xerox" having lost its trademark
identity, but I don't think I've ever heard of "Kinko's" being used in
a generic sense.  Maybe it's a regional difference (I'm in the San
Francisco Bay Area).

Oh yeah...as a former manager of a Kinko's branch, I can attest to this one
personally.

Did you know that "Realtor" is a registered trademark?

Yep.

But I don't
think "Bricksmith" is.  Only "Guild of Bricksmiths."  If the GoB wants
to prevent other people from using the term "Bricksmith" they should
assert a trademark for that as well.

Good point (though not really part of the original issue)...and something
GoB might want to consider if it becomes important to them.

Matt