 Marketplace / Theory / 2261
Re: Do you think there is a market for your MOCs on eBay? Please discuss...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Fri, 18 Jan 2002 15:39:21 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.market.theory, Doyle Nelson writes:
In lugnet.market.theory, Brian Kasprzyk writes:
In lugnet.market.theory, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.market.theory, Paul Klenk writes:
<snip>

Posters have made a number of good points but I would like to point out that
this topic has come up before and those interested may want to do some
searching in market.theory where it tends to get discussed periodically...
they may discover tidbits not mentioned in this iteration.

Please also note that Guild of Bricksmiths (not "Brick Guild") is a
trademarked name and should have a TM after it when first mentioned (or
somewhere on the page)... thanks!

Larry Pieniazek, Bricksmith
Guild of Bricksmiths(tm): www.bricksmiths.com
Milton Train Works(tm): www.miltontrainworks.com

Bricksmiths
Bricksmiths
Bricksmiths
Bricksmiths
Bricksmiths
Bricksmiths
Bricksmiths

So sue me.  How many times has Lego been written (even by you) without the
trademark symbol?

By me? Not that many. You could look it up.

This would be a good example:
http://news.lugnet.com/castle/?n=11214

LEGO - No "(r)"
Guild of Bricksmiths - No "(TM)"
LUGNET - No "(TM)"
Refering to the Guild of Bricksmiths(TM) as simply "the Guild"

Surly another case of: "do as I say, not as I do"! ;)

Scott A

Sorry Larry,

But I think I must agree with Brian. The(TM)thing was a "little"
anal-retentive.

Not by choice. Trademark law is clear on the point, which you, as a CEO,
should know.

If we want to protect our trademark (and we do, we've all put a lot into the
concept and it has value as a brand) we *have* to assert that it's a
trademark, which means using the TM. We can't just let it slide. And our
trademark is a lot more fragile than LEGO(tm), since we're a lot smaller.

Use of the trademark is also a good metric as to who are friends are. People
who deliberately misuse our name (wrong words or wrong word order) after
being corrected about it, people who make fun of it in a malicious way, and
people who omit the TM repeatedly (not inadvertantly, that's not such a big
deal, but people who stamp their feet and go na nana na na... how child
like!)... those people presumably are not friends to us or the concept.

A few names on that list I'm glad of, I prefer to choose my friends and I
would never choose them. But most (like Brian K. the footstamper above) I'm
rather disappointed in.

Trimmed FUT to just theory.
FUT : lugnet.off-topic.fun – but change it if you wish