 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 1155
Re: Trademarks & Copyrights (Swimming pools & movie stars)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 12:14:01 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Richard Marchetti writes:
In lugnet.market.theory, Matthew Gerber writes:
In lugnet.market.theory, William R. Ward writes:
But I don't
think "Bricksmith" is.  Only "Guild of Bricksmiths."  If the GoB wants
to prevent other people from using the term "Bricksmith" they should
assert a trademark for that as well.

Good point (though not really part of the original issue)...and something
GoB might want to consider if it becomes important to them.

This whole thread is completely psychotic.  "Bricksmith" and "bricksmiths"
are actual words being used in the vernacular -- I am not sure anyone can
claim exclusive use of words that are used commonly by others.

If GoB can show they were the fisrt users (I'm not saying they do or are),
does the word not belong to them?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I bet the trademarked or registered term is "Apple
Computers, Inc." or some such thing, and not just the word "apple"...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Veering slightly off-thread...

For me, The GOB, and/or anything to do with it, is one of the things I
dislike intensely about lugnet.  If the GOB doesn't smack potently of a
little clique in our midst then I don't know what would qualify around here.
I don't like anything about the GOB.  If the name GOB wasn't so funny, it
would almost be offensively self-congratulatory -- maybe it's both!  Outside
of some brief market postings, and possibly brief discussions (which this
thread has moved way beyond) I think GOB discussions should be moved to
Off-topic to give other posters an opportunity to express something that
might be of interest to someone beyond Larry P, et al.

GOB MOC kits are no more officially Lego designs than any other clone kit
designs, except that the brick quality is slightly better...

I'm not sure I agree. The GOB kits (and most other MOCs) are designed in a
way that economics dictate Lego can not really consider. That does not mean
they are necessarily "better", just they are often different that is all.

Scott A

-- Hop-Frog