 Marketplace / Theory / 2253
Re: Do you think there is a market for your MOCs on eBay? Please discuss...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Thu, 17 Jan 2002 18:00:13 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Scott Arthur writes:
Dave,
This sounds like a very interesting venture... and you sound like you >really
got enjoyment out of it!

One small question: Did you set a reserve in your ebay auction? I ask >as I
have noticed that the Bricksmith’s Guild tend to either set high reserves >or
have high starting prices (which I have no problem with). Perhaps this >angle
could improve your ebay sales?

Scott A
(Who wishes he’d bid $29 on your ebay auction!)

Scott, when I set up those auctions some 18 months ago, I had the odd notion
that I might make more via ebay than via retail. I purposely didn't set a
high resrve becasue I wanted to see where the market for such items were at.
Fortunately, I had the presence of mind to start my reserve at  the cost of
the parts. I ultimately lost money on the ebay sales once you factor in the
cost of the other materials. Over all, the retail kits sold for more and
sold faster than expected. I sold 4 copies of the yellow one in the time it
took to sell a single copy of it via ebay and made twice as much off of each
copy. You can see why I'm not eager to try repeating the ebay experience. :)

Quite honestly, it was an interesting venture that I wouldn't mind repeating
sometime in the future if I create a mecha design that I'm completely
enamored with. Right now, most of my designs are too large or use too many
specialized parts to try selling them en masse.

-Dave