 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 13357
Re: Trademarks & Copyrights (Swimming pools & movie stars)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Mon, 28 Jan 2002 23:08:52 GMT

"Matthew Gerber" <matthew@digitaliris.com> writes:
In lugnet.market.theory, Will Middelaer writes:
Those who would hold otherwise should check their premises.  What is it that
they truly fear?  The loss of their mark, or the loss of something that they
hold more precious than any commercial benefit that they might derive from
their trademark?

Loss of identity is directly related to loss of trademark. Ask anyone going
to "Kinko's" to make "Xeroxes" if they are truly visiting their local
Kinko's branch to make photocopies on Xerox machines, or if they are going
to Local Copies 'n' Stuff to make photocopies on a Konica machine...you'd be
surprised at the answer.

I'll definitely agree with you about "Xerox" having lost its trademark
identity, but I don't think I've ever heard of "Kinko's" being used in
a generic sense.  Maybe it's a regional difference (I'm in the San
Francisco Bay Area).

Closing thought experiment:

What if bricksmith fell into general use to describe anyone who builds great
things our of our favorite bricks, akin to the way wordsmith describes an
author of great quality?  Would such an action be objectionable, or more
importantly actionable?  Can a person (natural or otherwise) or persons
claim ownership of a word to the exclusion of all non-attributed
use/uses/users?  Jabberwocky!

But would such use cause a decline in the marketability of the Guild of
Bricksmith's name, in the same community? Yes. It could be assumed that
anyone being called/calling themselves "bricksmith" was associated with the
group, and that would be false. Is that actionable? To an extent. I would
hope that it would be resolved privately, community member to community
member, but if there was a serious monetary loss, GoB would be within their
rights to take legal action, no?

Did you know that "Realtor" is a registered trademark?  But I don't
think "Bricksmith" is.  Only "Guild of Bricksmiths."  If the GoB wants
to prevent other people from using the term "Bricksmith" they should
assert a trademark for that as well.

--Bill.