 Marketplace / Auctions / 2232
Re: FA : SOCCER SETS AND SUB-SETS (all new misp/misb)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Sat, 21 Aug 1999 11:55:18 GMT

Mike Walsh wrote in message ...
Scott-A does have a point about the "mint" boxes being tough to find.  I
bought six starter sets when I was in the UK back in July and everyone of
the boxes showed some serious shelf wear.  I think this is due to the fact
that the box is big (about the size of a large pizza delivery box) in order
to hold the field plates and only has a one small box (field accessories) • to
support height of the box.  Everything else in the box comes in a polybag.
This box should have had some sort of cardboard support insert.  Just by
stacking four or five of them up on the shelf will result in quite a bit of
box squishage (like that word?) for the sets on the bottom of the pile.
Mike

   Squishage - one of my favorites.  So is someone better off with six
shelfworn Soccer sets that are sealed or six open soccer sets in minty
boxes?  Since most of the people buying them don't give a rats a$$ about the
boxes anyway, it does seem silly to bid so much on the empty boxes.  Still,
I agree that they have a certain value, since I am a box collector, and
since these are relatively rare and more collectible than the average Lego
set.  If you guys let me, I will grab those boxes for peanuts and
redistribute to those who are interested.  Additionally, maybe a collector
got his starter set from another country, and would like to have one of each
box (I know I do!)

John DiRienzo wrote in message ...
  I received the email and retracted my bid.  I had bid on this prior to
realizing it was only boxes, no Lego.  When I noticed that it was only
boxes, I was glad to see that I had already been outbid.  By the time I • got
the email, though, I was again the high bidder, due to the other guy
withdrawing his bid.  I notice that the current high bidder is from Japan.
I also know I have dealt with him before and his translation program (or • his
English, although I am almost sure he uses a program) is terrible.  I am • not
100% sure he knows the auction is for boxes only.  If someone could tell • him
in his own tongue about this auction, I think he may want to retract his
bid, too.  I know Scott wasn't trying to be deceitful in any way (or I • trust
him enough not to believe he was being deceitful) but with eBay and the
chance of anyone in the world bidding, I think it is very important to be
100% clear as possible.  I still laugh when I think about a man in the
Netherlands who was absolutely amazed by a couple early 80s sealed sets I
sold him (although, in the description, I tried to make it abundantly • clear
the sets were sealed, he didn't know what that meant, I guess).  At any
rate, I am glad Scott emailed me, and hopefully no one else will be • confused
by that auction.

--
  Have fun!
  John
Scott-A wrote in message ...
For the record, I have just mailed all the bidders and clarified the
situation. I have also given them instruction as to how they may retract
their bid.

The message read:

You have bid on my auction (above). I have received an e-mail which • accused
me of being misleading when posting the auction announcement. Can I ask • if
it was clear to you that the boxes were empty when you placed your bid?

Please reply, as I do not wish to be accused of deception.

You can retract your bid, if you wish to do so, by going to:
http://pages.ebay.com/services/buyandsell/retract-bid.html