 Local / United States / Ohio / 139
Re: Ohio builders :)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.oh
Date:
Thu, 6 Apr 2000 12:02:01 GMT

Mike makes some good points.  We ought to just bring what we're strong in and
use this first session as a way to establish how to actually play the game.
(Any experienced BrikWars players from out-of-state wish to join us?)

I could go for laying siege to a medieval castle with a couple of Mecha.  That
would be surreal.

As for when we can do this, I think I have it traced to two or three weekends
when I'll be available in the next two months.  The first is this weekend, but
I think that's a little short notice for all concerned.  After that it's the
first two weekends in May (5/6 and 5/13).  If we aim for either of those, I
should be able to make it.

Hey experienced players (if you're eavesdropping like Mike was)  If we're
playing this game far from our regular collections (well, I will be anyway)
what spare parts do you suggest bringing along to augment play as it
continues?  Lots of minifigs and spare weapons?  Basic bricks in various
colors?  I'd bring my whole collection, but 60,000 pieces is a little unwieldy
to move :)

Adrian

In lugnet.loc.us.oh, Mike Rayhawk writes:
Anything but medieval. I would be at a HORRIBLE disadvantage in a medieval
setting. 2 reasons:
1) I have 2 Knights in my entire collection
2) Neither of them have any weaponry
For me, Castle would be, by far, easiest.  However, I'm willing to try
anything.  Hmm, I'll I have to see if the rules support Technic Figs...

Technic figs are supported.  Hell, anything you want is supported, but • there's
a price for everything.  As for themes, I'd be at a disadvantage for Castle
too, as that's probably my least populated theme.  I'd like Space or Modern
day best.

Hope none of you Ohioans mind if I butt in :)...

Since it looks like none of you are going to be real familiar with the game
when you show up, you should just run an informal kind of gig just to get
familiar with the game, and not worry too much about who wins or loses.  So
it's not all that terribly important that everybody play the same genre, or
that all the armies are the same size or cost the same amount of points,
although I recommend you keep your armies pretty small (100-300 pts., not
counting buildings) in order to keep things simple and fast moving while you
get the rules figured out.  If you really wanted to all play the same genre,
you could have the players who are well-stocked in that genre provide for the
players who are not.  However it's also fun to have spacemen laying siege to a
castle while 20th-century policemen are trying to stop 16th-century sea
pirates from looting the town.

Castle men and castle weapons don't do that well against spacerobots and
spaceships, of course; they need to build a lot of fortifications to
counteract Spacemen's mobility, and cannons and catapults to knock down
spacevehicles.  They do pretty well if you can build them a big forest with
tall trees (which takes some work, since most lego trees are not very tall) to
hamper flyers; it turns out a little like the Ewok battle in Return of the
Jedi.

- Mike Rayhawk.

   Check out the Official BrikWars Home Page at
  http://www.teleport.com/~rayhawks/brikwars.htm