 Local / European Union / 52
Re: Cross posting in eu (was: Aaargh!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.eu
Date:
Mon, 20 Dec 1999 09:18:44 GMT

Jasper Janssen <jasper@janssen.dynip.com> wrote:
On Sun, 19 Dec 1999 20:20:42 GMT, "Carbon 60" <carbon60@bigfoot.com>
wrote:

Maybe we should try to persuade Todd to integrate some translation • software
into this newsgroup.  I've added lugnet.admin.general

I'd rather not.. Translation software is kind of icky in general, and
copyright issues I think would make automated translation a rather
expensive proposition.

I agree. Look at this experiment (babelfish):

Your original sentence:
"I'd rather not.. Translation software is kind of icky in general, and
copyright issues I think would make automated translation a rather expensive
proposition."

...to Italian (I know you can't read it but believe me it's pure fun)...

"Non piuttosto. Il software di traduzione è genere di icky in generale ed il
copyright lo pubblica pensa renderebbe a traduzione automatizzata una
proposta piuttosto costosa."

...and back to English:

"Not rather. The translation software is kind of icky in a generalized
manner and copyright the public one thinks would render to automated
translation one proposed rather expensive."

:-)))

Unfortunately I can only do English, the French of an 8 year old and very
limited German, probably aged 3.  Why do they teach French instead of • German in
UK schools - German is much more useful.

Ah, but the French have been at war with the English far more than the
Germans.

:-)))

BTW I would suggest Spanish against French & German. Really widespread (just
after English) and a good gate to all the neolatin idioms. I love it.

Mario

Web page: http://www.geocities.com/~marioferrari
LUGNET member page:  http://www.lugnet.com/people/members/?m=22
Proud member of ItLUG: http://www.itlug.org