 Local / European Union / 57
Re: Cross posting in eu (was: Aaargh!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.eu, lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.publish
Date:
Mon, 20 Dec 1999 23:39:31 GMT

On Mon, 20 Dec 1999 21:24:42 GMT, carbon60@bigfoot.com (Carbon 60)
wrote:
In article <38b45681.435745144@lugnet.com>, jasper@janssen.dynip.com
says...

[this was about the loc groups and unreadable things]

At most a URL to babelfish or something like that.

Maybe difficult when trying to read whole threads but it'll do for now.

By the way, I did notice a babelfish option where you type in a URL,
and it provides a translation.

Witrh a bit of naughty reverse-engineering by me, the following URL
will result in a german translation of the Lugnet main page.

What with the characters in the lugnet url that are unescaped, I can't
guarantee it working on all browsers, but it did on
Communicator_4/win98.

http://babelfish.altavista.com/cgi-bin/translate?doit=done&lp=en_de&urltext=http://www.lugnet.com/

It should be easy to provide a URL of that form, with the "lp" field
user-selectable, at all loc groups.

Whether that is a good idea or not is another thing.

I don't think babelfish approves of this particular thing. However,
they do approve of using the above url minus "doit=done", which when
you click it provides a standard babelfish dialogue box with the url
and language-to-language already filled in. See below this paragraph.
This also obviates the need for a user-selectable lp field, as it is
duplicated in the page you get when you use this - make a sensible
default for all groups, and if another language happens to be the one
that is used the users can change it on the BF page.

http://babelfish.altavista.com/cgi-bin/translate?lp=en_de&urltext=http://www.lugnet.com/

The reason I think they approve is that they say in the FAQ you can
use the URLs resulting form filling in the form there, which results
in a URL of the latter form.

In short, I think adding a URL, as of the second form, would be a
splendid idea.

Ah, but the French have been at war with the English far more than the
Germans.

More reasons not to communicate with them :-)  But I'm only joking of
course!

The british have also done much more trading with the french,
historically, than with the germans. Usually this was at the same
time.

Jasper