 Local / Australia / 5345
Re: Themes that interest girls (was Re: check this out!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Mon, 9 Apr 2001 04:43:00 GMT

I also had basic Lego (not very much but enough to build
what I liked to build).  Care
to guess what I built with the Lego?  Houses.  Inside detail, outside
detail, gardens, the odd car, but that was to park in the garage of the
house.  Had I had access to more Lego I would have built whole Towns.

Well, that doesn't surprise me. In my KFOL days (pre Dark Ages) I was
undeniably a Townie. When all you own is brick bricks, roof tiles, doors,
windows, trees and flags, it does tend to predispose you to building houses
and other town buildings. Also, the boxes that the pieces came from showed
houses and other town buildings. Although it was pre-theme Lego, the focus
was very much on towns. And all the other kids I knew with Lego build towns
too. I don't recall ever seeing Lego wheels or vehicles at that time
(although I know from the LUGnet database that they did exist in that time
frame, but I don't know if we got them here in Oz). We used to use Matchbox
cars to drive around our Lego buildings.

However, in my AFOL days (post Dark Ages) I've never really been tempted to
get into Town. Maybe I just did too much of it as a child :-)

I don't have a problem with Town, or with anyone male, female or anything in
between liking Town. I just don't go for the idea that there exists some
subset of Lego that is somehow "better for girls" or that girls as a group
are deemed to not like certain themes. I firmly believe you should expose
children to as wide an array of (safe) toys as possible, and let them
determine their own preferences and not have the preferences of others
imposed on them.

Having said all that, I give Lego to kids a lot. I guess I'm imposing my
preference for Lego on them :-)

Kerry