 Local / Australia / 5290
Re: check this out! (the things ya do at work eh? :P)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Fri, 6 Apr 2001 00:04:04 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Jason King writes:
Unfortunately the collectibility of these sets is precisely why Lego will
probably never re-release them. Although I am sure they could make a killing
by doing it.

The collectibility of the sets has almost no bearing on whether TLC would ever
re-release classic sets. The have about zero stake in the collectibility of
sets (other than those they explicitly release as "limited editions"). Sure, a
few people would get pissed if they re-released old sets, but 99% of the people
who owned any of the re-released sets would cheer. And in any case, the
collectibility would hardly be damaged, for a true collectables collector, the
most important piece would be an original box, preferably never opened. A
modern re-release in a different box would do almost nothing to the value of
the original.

However, it is incredibly unlikely we will ever see many re-releases. There are
likely parts for which the molds no longer exist, and the potential volumes
would probably be too low. I could see them re-releasing a handfull of the most
popular classic sets, or at least those which most characterize the era, but
that is about it.

Frank

Peter White <aztekium@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
In lugnet.loc.au, Melody Brown writes:

Mel (who still thinks Lego should bring out a classic series of all the • good
old favourites! - "I want a Monorail")

Now, that would be something !
I'd rather buy one new off the shelf for $300, rather than $600-800 off • the
'bay.