 Local / Australia / 5369
Re: Themes that interest girls (was Re: check this out!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Tue, 10 Apr 2001 00:04:22 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Kerry Raymond writes:
<snipped for space>
I don't recall ever seeing Lego wheels or vehicles at that time
(although I know from the LUGnet database that they did exist in that time
frame, but I don't know if we got them here in Oz). We used to use Matchbox
cars to drive around our Lego buildings.

I had wheels (but I'm a little younger than you :)).  Unfortunately I don't
have any idea what set numbers I had, so it'd be hard to put a year on it,
sometime mid seventies.

However, in my AFOL days (post Dark Ages) I've never really been tempted to
get into Town. Maybe I just did too much of it as a child :-)

I don't have a problem with Town, or with anyone male, female or anything in
between liking Town. I just don't go for the idea that there exists some
subset of Lego that is somehow "better for girls" or that girls as a group
are deemed to not like certain themes. I firmly believe you should expose
children to as wide an array of (safe) toys as possible, and let them
determine their own preferences and not have the preferences of others
imposed on them.

Yes, I wholeheartedly agree, (and I've said this before in previous posts),
make available to the kids a wide range of toys and let them choose. When
the kid is choosing what to play with and how to play with it (and not the
parents) then it's interesting to watch the behaviours that arise.

"Girls prefer town" is a generalisation, but it's one that seems to bear out
in my experience.  Sure, there will be girls that don't fit that
generalisation, just as there will be boys that aren't into emergency
vehicles or whatever.  Most parents do, unfortunately, genderise (is that a
word?!) their kids from the word go, it may not be a deliberate choice, they
might not realise that they are doing it, but it happens.  But kids that
have been brought up differently still seem to, in general, tend the same
way.  Giving them that choice is still important, and while I see "girls
prefer townscapes and boys prefer catastrophes" I don't advocate the "this
pretty building is a girl's set and this fire engine is a boy's set"
philosophy.  Lego does do that, and as a marketing strategy it's probably
spot on, but it doesn't make it the right way to bring up our children.

Deidre
drb@tasmail.com