 Local / Australia / 13575
Re: NR-75 - The Ghan (The way it should have been done ;-) )
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Mon, 17 Oct 2005 06:56:12 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Peter Parsons wrote:

   Hi All I have to put my 20 cents worth in here as I have built the 6 wide NR 75 with many thanks to Tim for his help with prototyping issues and use of his instructions.

^^ What he said.

   8 wide looks awfull but that is only my opinion far too out of scale no matter what figures you trow at me about height and width it just looks too “gawky”. It will never run for real on a good track layout as it is too long in the bogies and will not make it round corners. (someone build it and prove me wrong) Mine ran during the Gold Coast Train Show with BLTG and ran great got a lot of looks and comments from the general train community nothing about being “out of scale”

It’s quite ok to think that 8 wide looks awful; that’s just an opinion, but I must correct the second part of your statement. There are loads of ways you can make long bogies work: Sliding wheelsets, rubberband-bound wheels, or placing them sideways and spacing the wheels so they can only just about manage corners (like so).

   Question to Swammi Mate where are the handrails you can’t just have “staunchions” sticking up in the air they really are dangerous and need a rail along the top.

Tim is being too hard on himself in the next post, I think, as the actual builder of the model, it is I who should’ve found a way around the problem of neither of us knowing Lsynth, but, time was at a premium so it wasn’t possible. FWIW this is the look I was going for.

   I will stick with the original model by Tim any day but well done for trying to reproduce a great loco.

Thanks FYO!

Legoswami