 Trains / 26037
Re: NR-75 - The Ghan (The way it should have been done ;-) )
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Sun, 16 Oct 2005 17:00:57 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Timothy Gould wrote:
I'm pretty happy with the overall design; Tim says it's not as high as it
should be, but I figured figs are short to begin with so that was okay. LMK
what you all think.

Legoswami

Nice work Swami and better late than never :P. I don't know what happened to the
logo but something went wrong...

As for minifigs, everyone knows they are tall and broad, not short. That's why
trains should be six-wide. Sheesh!!!

Tim

If you said 6-wide represents an 8ft wide coach body, a minifig is 41mm / 48mm x
8ft = 6'10" tall and 16mm / 48mm x 8ft = 2'8" wide at the waist (standard
minifig with hair but no rucksack).

If 6-wide represents a 10ft wide body for American trains, a minifig is 41mm /
48mm x 10ft = 8'6.5" tall and 16mm / 48mm x 10ft = 3'4" wide at the waist.  Yes,
very tall and very broad!

If you say 8-wide represents an 8ft wide coach body, a minifig is 41mm / 64mm x
8ft = 5'1.5" tall and 2'0" wide at the waist.

If 8-wide represents a 10ft wide coach body, a minifig is 41mm / 64mm x 10ft =
6ft 4.9" tall and 16mm / 64mm x 10ft = 2'6" wide at the waist.

I'm 6'2" tall and just 18" wide at the waist, though an average man is about
5'11" tall, and a woman 5'6".

Of the four, the closest height and width measurements are for 8-wide
representing an 8ft wide coach body.  8mm:1ft scale is equivalent to 8-wide
representing 8ft wide body, but is the same for all body sizes because 10-wide
represents 10ft wide etc...

If minifig women stood on one plate and men on two plates, they would be exactly
5'6.3" and 5'11.1" in 8mm:1ft scale.  I think the legs are a bit short compared
to the bodies of minifigs.  Having minifigs at the short and pleasantly plump
ends of normal proportions is one reason why I prefer 8mm:1ft scale.  Another is
that the track dimensions of 37.8mm closely represent 4'8.5", with an accuracy
better than 'OO' gauge.

I still appreciate the lower cost and build time per vehicle for the giant
minifig society :-) , as well as the quality of the MOCs and ease of
introduction for train newbies, but I've spent too long building to scale to
return to 6-wide myself.

Mark