 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 5115
Re: How closely do TLC check the builder of the month entries?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Sat, 7 Sep 2002 02:19:09 GMT

I'm very concerned.
I just got up onto the builder of the month site (ostensiably, to check if
my williams has shown up yet,) and some of the models are almost 100% copies
of the models LEGO have brought out- these instructions are freely available
on www.hccamsterdam.nl/brick, but come on! Use some common sense- the
builder of the month column is supposed to show ORIGINAL models! These are
just ordinary.

Also, why are some models getting into the draw twice in a year- the same
model, (albeit under a different name) has shown up twice in the hall of
fame, and this month, the "orca" of july is showing up again! Please, take
off the computer program you have to randomly pick a model every month, and
do it yourselves. It's very demeaning for those who send in models to see
the same old drivel month after month! (Besides, Some of those models don't
even use LEGO!) I propose a scheme where all models made by builders over 10
be put into a different section, to give everyone a chance to be "Builder of
the Month!!!" Even better would be a section dividing bionicle, technic,
basic and junior into even groups, so as better technic models dont poo all
over the basic models. I think this scheme would benifit everyone (You could
be "Technic builder of the month", too!)

Please, clean up your act and give the model builders some prestige. Check
the models personally, and filter the models that have won already.

Just do SOMETHING, LEGO!!

Wow. I am catching up on some LUGNET reading and have made my way through
the latest posts in this thread. Some of these comments are pretty harsh.

My (Our) apologies for this mistake, and any confusion or upset it might
have caused. There are real people working on this project, and as such, we
make mistakes. We are working as fast as possible to get the problem fixed.

To give a little background, we are working on phasing out this particular
functionality, and will be re-launching it in our Club area. This will allow
for improved functionality, as well as increased moderation on our part. We
really appreciate that we have your eyes and ears in the community. With as
many submissions as we get in the course of a week (quite literally
hundreds, sometimes thousands), it is nearly impossible for us to ascertain
the correct ownership of every upload. Thanks for everyone's help in
watching out for image theft.

Let me also say that this functionality is meant for and targeted to kids.
Therefore, not every model submitted or posted is world class, master
builder quality. Many kids don't create models that we adults consider
"masterpieces", but it doesn't make them any less creative or amazing. And
the mish-mash of colors often represents the best color scheme possible from
a smaller part collection. Not every LEGO builder has a huge parts
collection to build from.

Thanks again to everyone for helping us keep an eye on the image theft!

Jake

---
Jake McKee
Sr. Producer