 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 5111
Re: How closely do TLC check the builder of the month entries?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Fri, 6 Sep 2002 03:46:13 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Matt Hein writes:

Sheesh! What is this? I managed to get a quick look at
some of these models, and I'm surprised they even made it
past Lego's moderation basis.

Doesn't anyone have standards anymore at lego?

I do have to admit, though. The structural integrity
of any of those models listed, not to mention those
rancid color schemes are enough to make anyone turn
the other cheek. Either this, or the impact waves of
juniorized town sets and jack stone are still
diminishing the creativity factor.

Just an advice to lego. Why not showcase some of the
finest (not to mention feasible) creations to the world?
Why not have themed voting, because the current layout
as of now very erratic, and it's credability as a source
of cool models is shot.

Wow. I am catching up on some LUGNET reading and have made my way through
the latest posts in this thread. Some of these comments are pretty harsh.

My (Our) apologies for this mistake, and any confusion or upset it might
have caused. There are real people working on this project, and as such, we
make mistakes. We are working as fast as possible to get the problem fixed.

To give a little background, we are working on phasing out this particular
functionality, and will be re-launching it in our Club area. This will allow
for improved functionality, as well as increased moderation on our part. We
really appreciate that we have your eyes and ears in the community. With as
many submissions as we get in the course of a week (quite literally
hundreds, sometimes thousands), it is nearly impossible for us to ascertain
the correct ownership of every upload. Thanks for everyone's help in
watching out for image theft.

Let me also say that this functionality is meant for and targeted to kids.
Therefore, not every model submitted or posted is world class, master
builder quality. Many kids don't create models that we adults consider
"masterpieces", but it doesn't make them any less creative or amazing. And
the mish-mash of colors often represents the best color scheme possible from
a smaller part collection. Not every LEGO builder has a huge parts
collection to build from.

Thanks again to everyone for helping us keep an eye on the image theft!

Jake

---
Jake McKee
Sr. Producer