 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 4267
Re: Going once, going twice, sold!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Wed, 3 Apr 2002 08:05:53 GMT

I don't speak for LEGO, but I may be able to get close to the answers to
some of your questions:

John Henry Kruer wrote:

Hmmm...
Looks intersting.  What other stuff are you going to auction?

If this works out (which it certainly seems to be doing), as many
one-of-a-kind sets as the market will bear, and that it is profitable
for them to spend their time on.

And will it always be one at a time?

For now, at least. That's certainly the best way to get the most profit
out of an item.

The prices will probablly get pretty outragous...

That's part of the point of an auction. The seller wants to get the
highest possible price that someone is willing to pay.

(I'm twelve, so I can't afford high ebay prices!)

Life stinks, sometimes. When I was twelve, I could've bought the entire
Classic Space line at their original prices, if only I had had the
money. Fortunately, by the time you hit 30, you can decide if its worth
going back to try to acquire those things you missed at 12, and by then
you (hopefully) will have the means to pay the premium prices.

A 'buy it now' should be offered too.

No it shouldn't. "Buy it now" should be used when the market value of an
item is known. It gives a buyer a chance to pay the market price, at the
cost of possibly getting it for less than the market price. Super Chief
#0001's market price is completely unknown, and will be for nine more
days. If I were LEGO Direct, I wouldn't offer "Buy it now" on anything.

P.S Why do you have to glue some parts?

Because it would cost significant additional resources to create an
instruction set for the display stand, and prior to selling the first
set, LD was not sure whether they could afford all the bells and whistles.

P.S.S. Any chance of old space sets?  :-)

Not at this time.

Again, I am not speaking for LEGO Direct, merely speculating on their
motivations. Hope that helps!

Rick C.