 Marketplace / Theory / 2370
Re: Going once, going twice, sold!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Thu, 4 Apr 2002 22:04:16 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Kevin Wilson writes:
Julie Krenz wrote in message ...
In lugnet.lego.direct, Kevin Wilson writes:
One interesting question: how come Lego is allowed to link to their
shop-at-home sales page on the About Lego page, whereas us plebian • ordinary
eBay sellers aren't allowed to link to our websites from our AboutMe • pages?
Of course, that's a question for ebay, not Lego (typical eBay though)

Kevin

Kevin - Did you ever question ebay about linking to your business from your
AboutMe page?

It says right here:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/community/png-list.html
that you can do it. (Scroll down for the "links policy".)

The page you linked to says:

"The eBay About Me page may be used to describe the seller's business, and
may contain URLs or links to the seller's individual web site. It may not
specifically promote off eBay sales or sales of items prohibited on eBay,
nor may it contain links to commercial web sites where goods from multiple
sellers are aggregated by a common search engine."

hmmm...eleft hand doesn't know what the eright hand is doing?
It also says this:
"The eBay About Me page is a place where the seller can promote their
individual web site or business."

I just found this info:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/community/png-links.html

It says:
***
You may link to your own web store or web site. However, you may not directly
offer any non-eBay merchandise on the About Me page itself.

eBay does not permit its users to place the following types of links on your
About Me pages:

Links that directly offer any non-eBay listing or merchandise on the About Me
page itself.
Links to other online trading sites or pages, including auctions and
fixed-price formats. Learn more
Links to sites offering the same merchandise for the same or lower price
(including the Buy It Now price).
Links to sites offering merchandise or information not permitted on eBay.

On your About Me page, you may link to your own web site or individual Internet
store where you
are offering to trade, sell or purchase your goods or services. However, you
may not link to any
page within online trading sites that offer goods from multiple sellers either
in a fixed price or auction
format.
******

I think - maybe? - ebay thought you were too agressively pushing sales?
Sounds kinda idioitic, but we're dealing with ebay here.

This about me page links to a store:
http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/gatorpack/

It's more subtle, as it only says "for information" on their product, but the
end result is a link to their store:

"Click here for our website where you will find information on all of our
shipping products:"

I would think, if somebody really wanted to, they could substitute "Lego" for
"shipping".

Julie

Which I agree ought to mean that we can link to a sale site, in practice I
was forced by eBay to remove my links to Lions Gate Models site from my
AboutMe page. This is (part of) what they wrote to me:

"The following text is not permitted on the About Me page as it is
offering items outside of eBay for direct sale:

  "I also sell Lego parts, both as auctions here on eBay(see my auction
  list below!) and on my GoB - Lions Gate Models Lego parts store, where
  you'll find thousands of Lego pieces and hundreds of instruction books
  available for immediate sale."  "

ALso...

"Please note that our policies that apply to auction pages also apply to
our About Me pages, with exception of advertisements. eBay will permit
members to advertise their businesses in describing who they are and
what they do on their About Me page. However, please remember that it is
not acceptable to solicit direct sales in promoting that business.  "

I asked how I was supposed to describe my business without saying that I
sell things, and they didn't answer that.

Kevin
TOWN Lego Building contest! http://www.lugnet.com/~41/towncomp/2002
Hospital 2396 piece kit - only one left!
http://www.lionsgatemodels.com/cat-hosp.htm
BrickLink Lego parts store: http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=Kevinw1
The Guild of Bricksmiths(TM): http://www.bricksmiths.com
Personal Lego Web page: