 Marketplace / Theory / 2371
Re: Santa Fe Super Chief A0001 on eBay
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Sun, 7 Apr 2002 23:47:17 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Allan Bedford writes:
In lugnet.trains, Steve Barile writes:
"Could these auctions make LEGO more profitable?" - Josh

Great point Josh! No, certainly not. Even if they sell for $1000 each,
that's $5k. Compared to their bottom line that's far below their accounting
rounding error.

Selling the 10 of them at $5,000 each isn't going to put a huge smile on any
accountant's face.

This little experiment isn't about making money, though I'll be honest I
can't figure out why they're doing it.

[snip]

Wait a minute, I think I got it.
LEGO is trying to establish collectivity of their product. That makes a lot
more sense.

So they can buy them back at inflated prices?  :)

Maybe they're just trying to win back the hard-core collectors they lost
when they re-released some of those Legends sets. Though I can't see any
reason for them to do that either...

ROSCO