 Marketplace / Theory / 2368
Re: Going once, going twice, sold!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Thu, 4 Apr 2002 20:31:56 GMT

"Kevin Wilson" <kwilson_tccs@compuserve.com> writes:
"The eBay About Me page may be used to describe the seller's business, and
may contain URLs or links to the seller's individual web site. It may not
specifically promote off eBay sales or sales of items prohibited on eBay,
nor may it contain links to commercial web sites where goods from multiple
sellers are aggregated by a common search engine."

Which I agree ought to mean that we can link to a sale site, in practice I
was forced by eBay to remove my links to Lions Gate Models site from my
AboutMe page. This is (part of) what they wrote to me:

"The following text is not permitted on the About Me page as it is
offering items outside of eBay for direct sale:

   "I also sell Lego parts, both as auctions here on eBay(see my auction
   list below!) and on my GoB - Lions Gate Models Lego parts store, where
   you'll find thousands of Lego pieces and hundreds of instruction books
   available for immediate sale."  "

ALso...

"Please note that our policies that apply to auction pages also apply to
our About Me pages, with exception of advertisements. eBay will permit
members to advertise their businesses in describing who they are and
what they do on their About Me page. However, please remember that it is
not acceptable to solicit direct sales in promoting that business.  "

I asked how I was supposed to describe my business without saying that I
sell things, and they didn't answer that.

Why don't you just say "Lions Gate Models(tm) is a member of the Guild
of Bricksmiths(tm), offering fine custom-designed models made from
LEGO parts for discriminating collectors, as well as sales of bulk
LEGO parts" with a link to your site?  It doesn't *specifically*
promote off-eBay selling, so I don't think that would be a problem.
(Just make sure you list a batch of bulk LEGO on eBay from time to
time in addition to BrickLink.)  Disclaimer: IANAL.

--Bill.