 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 4281
Re: Going once, going twice, sold!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Wed, 3 Apr 2002 14:31:22 GMT

LEGO should run this kind of auctions:
- for charity (their production costs of Santa Fe 001 to 010 were about zero)

Not sure that this would help defuse anything, we had insensitive twits show
up here and slam them in quite hurtful ways for their charity auctions when
they did that. So if it doesn't help, why bother?

*sigh* I assume this refers to me? Let's be clear on this, I have no problem
with anyone giving time or money to any worthy cause - I do both. My
"insensitive" comments related to those who wish to benefit themselves by
giving a token amount very publicly.

In the thread I think Larry refers to, I questioned a company (it was LD,
but it can apply to any other) who was apparently noisily giving a token
amount to the WTC charity. I questioned their motives. Tim and John claimed
that perhaps I was being insensitive. Perhaps I was. I welcome both John and
Tim's opinion. But I do not want to be lectured by Larry on this (again), as
he has already made his views clear on those seeking to gain financially
from  911:

==+==
Dan:
I think it's just plain sick! Any person wishing to buy, sell, trade
and/or somehow turn a profit from debris soaked with the blood of their
countrymen is worthless scum in my opinion.

Larry:
OK, I think excessive profiteering is a bit despicable, yes. But ponder this.

I would like to have a small piece of the WTC because I want a tangible
reminder of this tragedy, something to spark discussion with my kids or
grandkids, and don't ever want to forget that horrid day.
==+==

I do not own any debris from the WTC, but I have not forgotten that “horrid
day”. Has anyone?

FUT OTD

Scott A