 Marketplace / Theory / 2363
Re: Going once, going twice, sold!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Wed, 3 Apr 2002 16:48:57 GMT

Julie Krenz wrote in message ...
In lugnet.lego.direct, Kevin Wilson writes:
One interesting question: how come Lego is allowed to link to their
shop-at-home sales page on the About Lego page, whereas us plebian • ordinary
eBay sellers aren't allowed to link to our websites from our AboutMe • pages?
Of course, that's a question for ebay, not Lego (typical eBay though)

Kevin

Kevin - Did you ever question ebay about linking to your business from your
AboutMe page?

It says right here:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/community/png-list.html
that you can do it. (Scroll down for the "links policy".)

The page you linked to says:

"The eBay About Me page may be used to describe the seller's business, and
may contain URLs or links to the seller's individual web site. It may not
specifically promote off eBay sales or sales of items prohibited on eBay,
nor may it contain links to commercial web sites where goods from multiple
sellers are aggregated by a common search engine."

Which I agree ought to mean that we can link to a sale site, in practice I
was forced by eBay to remove my links to Lions Gate Models site from my
AboutMe page. This is (part of) what they wrote to me:

"The following text is not permitted on the About Me page as it is
offering items outside of eBay for direct sale:

   "I also sell Lego parts, both as auctions here on eBay(see my auction
   list below!) and on my GoB - Lions Gate Models Lego parts store, where
   you'll find thousands of Lego pieces and hundreds of instruction books
   available for immediate sale."  "

ALso...

"Please note that our policies that apply to auction pages also apply to
our About Me pages, with exception of advertisements. eBay will permit
members to advertise their businesses in describing who they are and
what they do on their About Me page. However, please remember that it is
not acceptable to solicit direct sales in promoting that business.  "

I asked how I was supposed to describe my business without saying that I
sell things, and they didn't answer that.

Kevin
TOWN Lego Building contest! http://www.lugnet.com/~41/towncomp/2002
Hospital 2396 piece kit - only one left!
http://www.lionsgatemodels.com/cat-hosp.htm
BrickLink Lego parts store: http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=Kevinw1
The Guild of Bricksmiths(TM): http://www.bricksmiths.com
Personal Lego Web page: