 LEGO Company / 357
  Fan Thank You Letter

I have been on the phone almost constantly since last Friday, June 14 and is my butt sore! Ba-Dum-Bumb. Anyway, I want to thank The LEGO Company (TLC) for their attention, efforts on our behalf, and their recognition of us, Adult Fans of Lego (...) (22 years ago, 18-Jun-02, to lugnet.lego) !!

  Re: Fan Thank You Letter

(...) Just to second Todd's wonderful letter and add a brief story of my own (so this isn't just a 'me too!' letter...) I have numerous geared 9v motors. Finding out about TLC's policy on replacing defective parts, I called them up once and (...) (22 years ago, 18-Jun-02, to lugnet.lego)

  Re: Fan Thank You Letter

(...) One thing that was not yet mentioned is that TLC doesn't sue their fans for creating their own Mindstorms software, and when somebody is not respecting their trademarks they don't start by sending letters at a cost of $1000 like everybody (...) (22 years ago, 18-Jun-02, to lugnet.lego)

  Re: Fan Thank You Letter

Jürgen, Thanks for the reference to the Article in Business 2.0. It was interesting to read an article by a writer that I feel has neither an understanding of Intellectual Property Law nor the LEGO Company. The author also demonstrates a poor (...) (22 years ago, 19-Jun-02, to lugnet.lego)

  Re: Fan Thank You Letter

(...) It is conceivable to show that a competing OS hurts the company trademark (I don't think LegOS does, other than in the use of LEGO in the name). (...) This is a really poor example, and grossly unfair to the jury in question. Evidence was (...) (22 years ago, 19-Jun-02, to lugnet.lego)

  Re: Fan Thank You Letter

(...) Boy, I sure need a course in "how!" I am searching the literature on how LINUX hurts the trademark on Windows. Or more to the point, how Pocket Linux hurts the trademark on an HP Handheld or palm computer that originally held as its OS the (...) (22 years ago, 20-Jun-02, to lugnet.lego)

  Re: Fan Thank You Letter

(...) O.J. (22 years ago, 20-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Fan Thank You Letter

(...) you (...) Greg, Thanks! I was actually hoping for a case where the found in favor of the plantif and against the defense, but actually this works. In the other case, McDonalds was the on the defense and the individual was the Plantif. I would (...) (22 years ago, 20-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Fan Thank You Letter

Todd wrote; ..major snippage (...) ..major snippage You may find that this is not quite true. There were some serious cases brought by Microsoft against people who decompiled MSDOS and reverse engineered a lot of MSDOS' undocumented features. This (...) (22 years ago, 20-Jun-02, to lugnet.lego)

  Re: Fan Thank You Letter

(...) And the jury that acquitted the cops who assaulted Rodney King (who is himself no model citizen, either.) Dave! (22 years ago, 20-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Fan Thank You Letter

(...) Taken from an e-mail sent to me a few months back: --- Subject: FW: Stella Awards In 1994, a New Mexico jury awarded $ 2.9 million U.S. in damages to 81-year-old Stella Liebeck who suffered third-degree burns to her legs, groin and buttocks (...) (22 years ago, 20-Jun-02, to lugnet.lego)

  Re: Fan Thank You Letter

(...) <snip> Sigh. Don't you know better than to believe everything you read in e-mail? (URL) of those "cites" are false. James (22 years ago, 20-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Fan Thank You Letter

(...) Just so people know where I am on this one, Stella did have a legitimate case in my view. As others have stated, McD had been repeatedly warned that they were serving coffee that was WAY WAY too hot, and did it for their convenience. However I (...) (22 years ago, 20-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Fan Thank You Letter

(...) Whoops. These are two separate incidents! I ran the paragraph together so it seems like the first sentence refers to the rest. My bad. The first sentence refers to when I was struck by a car as a pedestrian. Michigan insurance law at the time (...) (22 years ago, 20-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Fan Thank You Letter

David Koudys wrote in message ... (...) For more about this non-frivolous case, see here: (URL) The woman in question (was seriously scalded, MacDonalds sold its coffee at a higher than normal temp, which has caused multiple serious scalds over the (...) (22 years ago, 20-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Fan Thank You Letter

(...) **snip** (...) Just for my info, can you clarify whether Stella was holding the cup between her thighs (driving a car, perhaps) at the time of the spill? It had been my impression that this was the case, and if so, then tough for Stella; (...) (22 years ago, 20-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Fan Thank You Letter

(...) K, all the cites are false. THanks for the link. Doesn't in any way, shape or form stop the rampant stupidity of the 'sueing generation' 'I can't wait for something to happen to me where I can sue somebody!' I hear it, you, obviously have (...) (22 years ago, 20-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Fan Thank You Letter

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Brown writes: . Don't you know better than to believe everything you read in e-mail? (...) I was scanning through and thinking at best half the story was being left out. The thief in the garage story stopped me (...) (22 years ago, 20-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Fan Thank You Letter

(...) The ATLA site (reachable from the link to the myth debunk site that James B. provided) has a lot of info on this. She wasn't driving. That's a persistent false myth. Further, it wasn't that the cup ruptured, it was that the coffee is too hot. (...) (22 years ago, 20-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Fan Thank You Letter

(...) <snippage> (...) Hmm. I agree that there is an apparant sue-happy societal trend. I'm not sure that it's an *actual* trend, or just an apparant one. I do know that every single "stupid suit" case I've heard about **and looked into** turned out (...) (22 years ago, 20-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Fan Thank You Letter

(...) I concur wholeheartedly. In no way shape or form do I want to pass laws and/or regulations that limit access to the justice system. I want people to grow up, suck it up, realize that sh*t happens, and that, no matter how you cut it, life goes (...) (22 years ago, 20-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Fan Thank You Letter

(...) We may just be off agreeing with each other at the top of our lungs... But anyway I DO support laws that change how tort works in the US... the change I want to see is that if a lawsuit IS found to be frivolous there is some financial (...) (22 years ago, 20-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Fan Thank You Letter

(...) John is right in that if you agree to the licensing agreement that has a "reverse engineering" clause in it and you reverse engineer the software, you have violated the license agreement. I will search Lexus-Nexus case law tonight, but I know (...) (22 years ago, 20-Jun-02, to lugnet.lego)

  Re: Fan Thank You Letter

(...) Oh my tirade is not directed at anyone here at all. I have agreed with these posts. Few things get my blood pressure up and this is one of them, so if I come across as yelling, my bad. Yes I stand on a soap box every once in a while. I'm not (...) (22 years ago, 20-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Fan Thank You Letter

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, David Koudys writes: ***snip of stereophilic skullduggery*** (...) Kind of. But consider that the costs are raised infinitessimally by any single theft, so it's no good to tell Thief A not to steal; as long as every other (...) (22 years ago, 20-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Fan Thank You Letter

(...) [snip contents] While funny, this is completely bogus. None of these cases ever occurred. For the full story, see: (URL) William R Ward bill@wards.net (URL) BUT TRUE: There is so much sand in northern Africa that if it were spread out it would (...) (22 years ago, 20-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Fan Thank You Letter

(...) Do you think that inserting a hyphen (leg-OS) would satisfy LEGO? -- David Schilling (22 years ago, 20-Jun-02, to lugnet.lego)

  Re: Fan Thank You Letter

(...) Take a look at this link for some more thoughts on the economics of crime (including, particularly, theft) (URL) analysis does not quite square with yours. (22 years ago, 21-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Fan Thank You Letter

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, David Koudys writes: <snip> (...) You don't know how lucky you are. Your "sue happy" culture means that people who ought to be careful are more motivated to be careful! I think I get the point of your example. To take (...) (22 years ago, 21-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  MOB (was Re: Fan Thank You Letter)

MOB (was Re: Fan Thank You Letter) (...) Consider this: He doesn't BUY insurance. No one does. There is no insurance to be had. The cost is not spread. No one cares whether I ride a motorcycle with a helmet or not -- it's MY OWN BUSINESS. When did (...) (22 years ago, 21-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: MOB (was Re: Fan Thank You Letter)

(...) Regulations differ greatly from country to country. It is my understandment that US Workers' Compensation insurance is very well regulated; the carrier is not allowed to make any price increases beyond those to account for inflation. In (...) (22 years ago, 21-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Fan Thank You Letter

(...) Feh! What does an economist know about cost/benefit analysis? Interesting article overall, though some of his assumptions seem to depend too much on ideal models rather than real-world situations. The problem, as I see it, is that Thief A (...) (22 years ago, 21-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: MOB (was Re: Fan Thank You Letter)

(...) A nit. Technically this is not true. They actually typically collect LESS than they pay out. (but only by a little) You can read quite a bit more about this topic here: (URL) particular see: (URL) in particular particular, the section headed (...) (22 years ago, 21-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Fan Thank You Letter

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Dave Schuler writes: snip (...) snippage (...) I believe you are referring to the Skinner box, in which the rats are 'trained' to perform certain tasks by a cost/reward method. When the rat presses lever, he gets food. (...) (22 years ago, 21-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Fan Thank You Letter

(...) Found the link the the Skinner box and EverQuest: (URL) Skinner Box into Google and have a boo at the results there for more info (22 years ago, 21-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Fan Thank You Letter

(...) you (...) But this is an exemplar of jury success. And innocent man wasn't convicted -- that's the most important thing. Chris (22 years ago, 22-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Credit where it's due (was Re: Fan Thank You Letter)

(...) In the past few days I've been in a discussion on another forum wherein people have referred disparagingly to Ms. Liebeck's lawsuit. I recalled this thread from a few years back here on LUGNET and was able to use your link to shut down most of (...) (17 years ago, 13-Aug-07, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)