 Off-Topic / Debate / 16646
Re: Fan Thank You Letter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 20 Jun 2002 16:12:11 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Brown writes:
In lugnet.lego, David Koudys writes:
In lugnet.lego, Todd Thuma writes:

By the way, I am searching for a better example of poor jury decisions. If you
have one that I can site in the future please send it to me. I do not feel that
juries are always correct. It is a good system, but it is not absent of errors.
There are too many people being exhonorated based on DNA evidence to suggest
that the jury system is error free.

Taken from an e-mail sent to me a few months back:

<snip>

Sigh.  Don't you know better than to believe everything you read in e-mail?

http://www.snopes2.com/legal/lawsuits.htm

All of those "cites" are false.

James

K, all the cites are false.  THanks for the link.

Doesn't in any way, shape or form stop the rampant stupidity of the 'sueing
generation'

'I can't wait for something to happen to me where I can sue somebody!'

I hear it, you, obviously have heard it, it's not an occasional circumstance.

It seems lately that I can't go through a commercial break on television
without having some firm 'have you been injured... call me...'

I have been injured.  I have fallen out of a tree and broke my arm.  I have
been burned by an exhaust pipe on a semi.  I was stung by 150 bees and was
in the hosptial for the better part of the day.  So many things, some of
which I wasn't even being stupid.  Life happens.  Not only was Larry
perfectly in his rights to sue his insurance company, he was morally
obligated to sue the insurance company.  Me sueing for the things I
mentioned above, or Larry sueing the theme park, while in our 'legal' right
to do so, is so not morally, ethically, or any way shape or form, right to
do so.  Just 'cause you have the ability to do something does not mean you
*must* do something.  My dad taught me years ago that there is no such thing
as a free ride.  People are always looking for free rides.  Society, in
general, loves the concept, so much so that, apart from me and her parents,
most other people that hear what happened to my girlfriend, immediately say
after 'how are you doing', is 'you should sue'.

Prevalent.

Stupid.

'Cause we're just shooting ourselves in the foot.  We all pay for it in the
end.  The money has to come from somewhere.

Dave
-who is now removing the !! from his name 'cause I agree with Larry (again!
twice in one post!  Whodathunk?)