 LEGO Company / 359
Re: Fan Thank You Letter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Tue, 18 Jun 2002 20:41:27 GMT

"David Koudys" <dkoudys@redeemer.on.ca> writes:
In lugnet.lego, Todd Thuma writes:

Sincerely and respectful of each and every AFOL,

Todd

Just to second Todd's wonderful letter and add a brief story of my own (so
this isn't just a 'me too!' letter...)

I have numerous geared 9v motors.  Finding out about TLC's policy on
replacing defective parts, I called them up once and mentioned that I had a
stuck motor.  They replaced it, no questions.  I proceeded to take apart the
broken motor to figure out the inner workings (I'm such a geek).  I bought
another RIS and a motor in that one was bad as well.  TLC promtly replaced
that one as well.  When I found that, after much use in one of my larger
'bots, another motor was binding, I shipped all 3 motors to TLC with a
letter, saying that I appreciated the company..blah..blah..blah..perhaps the
research dept could look into seeing why 3 of my 20 motors over 4 years are
defective..blah..blah..maybe look into improving.. etc.

One thing that was not yet mentioned is that TLC doesn't sue
their fans for creating their own Mindstorms software, and
when somebody is not respecting their trademarks they don't start
by sending letters at a cost of $1000 like everybody else,
they negotiate amiable (legOS).
Apparently being nice is so rare that it is hard to comprehend
for other business types
(http://www.business2.com/articles/mag/0,1640,16981,FF.html).

Then not to forget their attitude towards scanning old instructions,
they allow free downloading from brickshelf.

And BTW, I also had good experiences with the replacement policy.

Jürgen

--
Jürgen Stuber <stuber@loria.fr>
http://www.loria.fr/~stuber/