 LEGO Company / 358
Re: Fan Thank You Letter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Tue, 18 Jun 2002 14:06:57 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Todd Thuma writes:

Sincerely and respectful of each and every AFOL,

Todd

Just to second Todd's wonderful letter and add a brief story of my own (so
this isn't just a 'me too!' letter...)

I have numerous geared 9v motors.  Finding out about TLC's policy on
replacing defective parts, I called them up once and mentioned that I had a
stuck motor.  They replaced it, no questions.  I proceeded to take apart the
broken motor to figure out the inner workings (I'm such a geek).  I bought
another RIS and a motor in that one was bad as well.  TLC promtly replaced
that one as well.  When I found that, after much use in one of my larger
'bots, another motor was binding, I shipped all 3 motors to TLC with a
letter, saying that I appreciated the company..blah..blah..blah..perhaps the
research dept could look into seeing why 3 of my 20 motors over 4 years are
defective..blah..blah..maybe look into improving.. etc.

I didn't figure that I warranted a replacement for the third motor due to
the fact that they already replaced 2, the third was used, as well as the
idea that I'm shipping 3 motors to them, one of which was completely
dismantled (by me)(all stated in my letter).

Well, they shipped me a replacement.  Boy I was in shock that day, let me
tell you.

'Excuse me <insert company name here>.  I used your product over and above
specifications for months and I may have stressed it because it's broken
now.  I took it apart just to see what's going on in there.  Gimme a new one.'

If that happens elsewhere, it's a rarity.

Thanks to TLC.

A final note, I have pics of me when I was 2 or 3 years old playing with
LEGO bricks.  I have pics of me when I'm 10, 17, 26, 32, and 35 (and a few
years inbetween) creating with LEGO bricks.  I can't think of a single other
thing that I had when I was 2 and have now at 35 besides LEGO bricks (I
think I may still have one or two of those bricks that I had when I was 2).
There are videos of a whole bunch of my friends, in their Sunday best,
coming over after
Church, playing with my LEGO collection.  This happened when we were all 25+.

Yes, if anything can bring people together of all ages and span the years,
you're looking at it.

Dave
-AFOLFL (a fan of LEGO for life)