 Off-Topic / Debate / 16651
Re: Fan Thank You Letter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 20 Jun 2002 18:50:30 GMT

I concur wholeheartedly.  In no way shape or form do I want to pass laws
and/or regulations that limit access to the justice system.  I want people
to grow up, suck it up, realize that sh*t happens, and that, no matter how
you cut it, life goes on.  There is no free lunch--stop looking for one.
This is an individual/moral/ethical issue, not a law changing issue.

We may just be off agreeing with each other at the top of our lungs...

But anyway I DO support laws that change how tort works in the US... the
change I want to see is that if a lawsuit IS found to be frivolous there is
some financial consequence to (the law firm of) the plaintiff to compensate
the defendant for their lost time/effort. Has to be structured carefully so
that it's not a barrier to entry for justifiable lawsuits.

Tangentially, yesterdays USA Today had a story about how hard it is for
those wrongfully imprisoned to get compensation. Seems to me that if someone
is incarcerated for something they truly didn't do, there are lost wages
that ought to be made up...

By analogy: Jury duty is a civic duty, you lose wages and that's the way it
is.  But being imprisoned is arguably not your civic duty...